When we visited Baseco and Don Boscoe in May we started a new initiative Body Awareness Classes. The main thrust of this programme was Teaching the girls about their body. We had about 40 girls attend.
We have been alarmed on numerous occasions by the simple lack of knowledge and sheer ignorance that girls and even child bearing women have….
Not that it is their fault, the doctors treat women as generally ignorant (which is unfortunately truth) but kept ignorant deliberately…
The teachers are embarrassed and very traditional in sex education classes, I have been told that the sex ed class consisted of simply chastisement if they do get pregnant. No knowledge, no information, no wisdom is imparted. Just embarrassment and confusion.
Many girls are too shy and confused to ask what is happening to their bodies and why. Naturally they fall easily into situations that cause pregnancy and voilà a baby!
Armed with some basic props and some great interpreters we began to tackle some priority issues including
- Teaching them about their bits, what is actually inside them
- Teaching them the proper names for their organs, naming = power
- Teaching the girls HOW a baby is concieved
- Boys body parts and how they are made to make babies
- Why they have periods
- How a baby is born
- How to stop babies being born, good decisions, personal safety, marriage, life partners.
- Focusing on education, those who stay in school are less likely to have early pregnancies.
It was a great success, the girls were animated, engaged and some even asked questions and became vocal about their body and what was evolving in them……
Yes a drop in the ocean, but if we can prevent one girl having one baby too early we have won.
BBB can make a difference one girl at a time
This generation will be better off than the last!
I am defiant. Well God and I 🙂